When I was in grade school I did not read a crazy amount. I would ready everything that was required and then stop. I think the only books that I ever sought out were the Harry Potter novels. I found just about everything else that I tried to pick up boring, especially any non-fiction literature. In college I started reading graphic novels. I started with fiction and then went from there. I read Maus, and Persepolis. I believe this was one of the first times that I read a book about history and war and did not want to put it down. I was learning by the words I was reading, and also getting very powerful images to read. This was very intriguing for me. A subject area in which I was never a fan finally became interesting.
I am such a huge believer in graphic novels. We will be able to hook the students in and make them want to read more. For all of the students that have a hard time reading, or are behind the rest of the class will have an opportunity to read pictures and think outside of the box. I also think that the students will appreciate the break from the normal chapter stories that they are required to read for school. I think it will help keep the students engaged in many ways.
Graphic novels can also be used in many classes other than just literature. The examples of Maus and Persepolis can be used in history classes and current events classes. There are so many different kinds of graphic novels that can aid you in just about any subject matter you are teaching.
So, my questions is: why don't more teachers use graphic novels in the classroom? Are we even allowed to teach new materials in the classroom, or are would I just have to suggest to students to look up different graphic novels on their own time?
The Ayers book came out in graphic form this year... I haven't see it yet but am curious! You're making me wonder if I should offer the option of using either version for this class...
ReplyDeleteWhen I was a child, I read a few graphic novels like the Elf Quest series and Tintin (does that count?). I loved the combination of drawings and text. You have inspired me to try Persepolis and Maus; I plan on ordering them from the library!
ReplyDeleteThis is a great idea. I loved reading comic books when I was a child, the graphic books of yesterday, and I know it helped my reading. I also read Persepolis, and it motivated me to want to learn more about the history of Iran. By the way, I followed my reading of the book by seeing the movie Persepolis. It had the rest of her story. What do you think about using historical movies in schools?
ReplyDelete