I have always been a fan of slam poetry. There is just something about it that speaks to you in a way that no other type of poetry can. It is relatable and accessible to everyone, specially the students that do not think they enjoy poetry. Because there is not format or rhyme to follow, just about anything can become poetry. The 8th grade block classes that I am working with are just about to start a poetry unit. Everyone will have the opportunity to create a poem and present it in front of the class. This at first may seem like a daunting task, but it become something that the student love to participate in. Every class nominates students that they think came up with the best poems, and they will go on to compete against the other block classes. In years past this has become on of the student favorite activities because there is no pressure to up with a certain type of poem. This project allows all students to tap into a creative outlet that they usually do not get to use or even think about.
I would start out by showing some slam poetry that I have enjoyed in the past to help the student relize that every idea can be turned into something brilliant.
thank you for posting this. it is OUTSTANDING!! cheers.
ReplyDelete