Monday, December 5, 2011
Back to 5th grade
I had such a great week back in my main placement. I was welcomed with many hugs (that almost took me down). I was surprised to see just how different and more complex the classroom had become. There are now 5 different reading groups and when I left there was only whole class readings. Because there are now different reading levels everyone is able to learn at their own pace (for literature). Each reading group works individually with the teacher at least 3 times a week. (I am looking forward to seeing the reading groups in action. I was unable because we had half day last week.) Another thing that had changed in the class was the way the desks were set up. They are now in groups of 5 and are named after colonies. They are doing a survivor type of game in social studies and the groups actions in all subjects can gain or lose points for the colony. This new game/activity I noticed has really helped with classroom management. The students have started keeping each other on track and there is a lot less chaos during transition times. There are a few things that I will have to learn about this newly designed classroom, and I am exited to be back with my 5th graders!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment