When we did choral counting as a whole class I loved to listen and see that patterns that others were noticing. With larger numbers and old students this seems to be a really fun and beneficial activity. With the smaller numbers there were less patterns to find. The 3rd graders were noticing many patterns, but it seemed like we had too much time for counting by 6s. The students were just repeating patterns that they saw in the first half of the activity. Others were completely tuning out. Looking back we probably should have changed up the number we were counting by to keep the students engaged. Even using the talk moves the students were finding it hard to come up with more to say.
I think this is an activity that would work best with older students. I wonder how I could fit it into a lesson with my 5th graders.
No comments:
Post a Comment