Sunday, March 11, 2012
Math all around us
Finding math in the world all around us was such a fun day (even though it was cold! :) ). I like that the students were excited to be counting and seeing patterns simply by walking outside. It makes math seem real, and gives it a purpose for the students that don't think math has one. If they are able to see that they are doing and working with math everyday, not just in math class, it gives them a reason learn mathematical skills. In our Reading Essentials book Routman talks about students needing a purpose to learn. If they are simply learning because we tell them to then they are not going to retain much information. I think this field trip gave the students a purpose and I hope it helped them look at math in a new light.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment