Monday, June 6, 2011

Childrens lit

While taking the WEST-E I came across a question that asked me about what type of genre a certain author writes about.  This made me realize that I do not know as much about children's literature as I probably should.  I took a class at Western that was all about youth lit.  It was a class that made me read twilight (a book I had never heard of, but was very popular with many of the students at the middle school) and not but year later the book was turned into a movie that became a world wide phenomenon.  Then, working in an 8th grade classroom this year, I was able to talk to students who were more than willing to keep me up to date with the newest "it" books that they were all reading. 

I think this summer, whenever I am able to find a little free time, I need to start reading more of what my students are going to be.  Being able to talk to my students about books, and other things that they are interested in, is a great way to build relationships and community in a classroom.  It is so important to know what our students are interested in that I need to start taking more time to finding out just what they like.  Time to start reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment